Tuesday 25 October 2011

So Many Books, So Little Time.

Vera Miles. Obviously reading is much more satisfying when you have brass ornaments to guide you. (Of course there's always the chance that you nod off and impel yourself. )

I've been trying to put more time aside for reading lately, especially with so many old celebrity bio's to write. Then there's the fact that a lot of my blogger friends are discussing their fall reading lists, upping my guilt for not tackling books that I've been putting off much too long.  Caroline at Garbo Laughs is buying antique collections which have me both jealous and interested in adding these little star profile books to my collector list. (I feel ashamed because I collect way to much as it is)  Then Cliff at Warren Williams and Immoral I Ephemera is making fancy videos of his books as they arrive in the mail.  In case you missed the video, he's reading the new Spencer Tracy and W.C. Fields bios. (The video title should have been Sorry for complicating your life Page, add a couple more titles to your list)

Just a few of the paperbacks that I need to either revisit or get to reading. The chair just isn't big enough for the hardbacks on old Hollywood and early cinema.

Now you might be asking yourself what's so difficult about picking up one of these books and reading?  Well, I blame the Kindle! A device that has made reading fun again with it's large font, beautiful blue ribbon bookmarks, being able to keep your place, the wonderful advantages of reading via a Kindle versus picking up an old paperback is endless.  I think my Amazon book wish list is now up to about 12 books. Okay, I confess that some of that list is on politics too but you get the point.  I just finished Hedy Lamarr's new bio  Beautiful: The Life of Hedy Lamarr.  So do I hold off reading Ava's new bio that a friend recommended or do I pick up one of my old paperbacks because only recent book releases are available via Kindle?

I promised Becky at Classic Becky's Brain Food that I would get to work on an Errol Flynn bio for her but I have two books on Errol, the one he wrote My Wicked, Wicked Ways (which I later found out was mostly fiction and exaggerated truths) so I bought the bio Errol Flynn: The Untold Story. I read both about 10 years ago and I've forgotten most of what I read. (Must add Ginkgo biloba AND stronger reading glasses to my shopping list)

If I remember correctly, the old bio's that I've read on Ava Gardner, Sophia Loren, Tyrone Power and Gloria Swanson were pretty darn boring but that's okay since I need research material. Of course if anyone knows of any recent bio's on these stars I'd be glad to add a few more books to the list.  

Oh, and to add to the problem, we have two fantastic used book stores within a couple of miles of where I live. I can walk in and find myself sitting on the floor surrounded by old books after an hour there.  

I'm really interested in hearing what everyone else has on their winter reading list as well as if anyone is interested in coming over and reading out loud to me in exchange for crazy, delicious baked goods  Oh, and if you have the voice of George Sanders that would be delightful.  I'm also interested to know if anyone else has started using the Kindle app after donating all of your old paperbacks.. (I can relate to that too as the back of my SUV is loaded down with boxes of old books (non celebrity related) that I need to drop off at a woman's shelter)

This is how blurry font looks through my eyes after about two minutes of reading paperbacks. Just another reason to love the Kindle. And for anyone not aware, you can download the FREE Kindle reading app for your PC via Amazon.  Easy breezy and incredibly fun.

Off to read and I really mean it this time, just as soon as I get all of those books out of my reading chair.
Page

Oh, I forgot to mention that the new Hedy Lamarr bio is fantastic! For anyone interested in old Hollywood and Hedy's life, do yourself a favor and add the book to your reading list. Also, FlickChick brought up a good point in the comments. The downside to reading a book via the Kindle is the fact that you don't have the wonderful copy to display, whether on your coffee table or in your vast library of cherished books. I do wish that Kindle versions would include photos too.

No comments:

Post a Comment